Thursday 31 January 2013

It's time to break up!

It was a secret affair between sugar and I. Well Not really secret, I was just in denial on how much sugar entered my life. When I say sugar, I mean refined sugar...


I am sure a lot of you can relate. Or maybe not, it could be just me, however I get a funny feeling I am not the only one that was/is in denial on how much sugar we have on a daily basis.

I recently came across an article that talks about sugar compared to cocaine in addiction, actually there are many articles supporting the fact that sugar is more addictive than cocaine. (Scary).. here is a little snippet of one article I came across:

"We've known for years that sugar isn't good for us. It promotes tooth decay, provides quick highs and lows and offers nothing but empty, nutritionless calories that pack on the pounds. However, it appears that it is even worse than we previously thought. Researchers recently determined that refined sugar is actually more addictive than cocaine. In a recent study rats were given a choice between sugar water and cocaine, and 94% them chose sugar. Even the rats that had previously been addicted to cocaine switched to the sugar once it was a choice. No wonder it's so hard to give up that 3 pm pack of M&M's, it's more addictive than illegal drugs." 



That's a scary thought. So during the month of February, I have decided to break up with my love affair for refined sugar. I am calling it, Sugar Free February... I thought I would publish this on my blog to make me more accountable for my sugar consumption. Feel free to join me in February, if you do, let me know.. strength in numbers as they say. It is time for me to kick this addiction.



2 comments:

  1. Well done Cate. I'm sure you'll feel way better for not consuming sugar (in large quantities). Be prepared though to 'not feel well' and perhaps be a little 'testy'. Persevere though. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've done this many times. It really does suck for the first week. A lot! That week is always undeniable proof of how addicted I really, Feb is a good month to do it.
    I will think about this today...and let you know if I am joining you.
    Ugh.. I should, but I don't wanna!

    ReplyDelete